Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Mary Kay: Inaction is Not an Option Anymore.

I understand that many viewpoints are based upon life's experiences. That said, I believe in the saying that in striving for perfection we may attain excellence, but in-action is not an option anymore.

How long should we study this before we decide to change the status quo? I've been living with this pre-existing condition clause since I was 21, pregnant with my daughter. I'm 49 now and still this issue keeps coming back around. God bless those of you who do not have a systemic disease which can be blamed for everything, and every symptom I have on any given day. Diabetes is extremely, and widely prevalent. It's not just me. Millions of americans have this disease. Some because of poor diets, lack of exercise, and genetics. Mine is genetics only. If I could change that I would. Sign me up!

BCBS will pay for 80% of my insulin pump, (retail cost $6,500.00), but not the 24hr blood glucose monitor so that I can keep my glucose levels in a healthy balance. This device is $1,000.00 + supplies. This is a financial burden for me, but not for the insurance companies. The financial burden of the long term affects of Diabetes is much more costly. One trip to the E.R. and 4 days in the hospital would cost the insurance company 6x the one-time cost of the monitor. Tell me how this makes sense. "Well Care" is much less expensive in the short and long term.

I have two choices: Hope that change takes place, so that I can remain self employed, or declare bankruptcy, so that I can afford to work for the Park Service and have their health insurance. It's a great job, but won't pay for my small business loans.

By the way, on a lighter note - It makes me smile that I have family out there!
Really late for work! Gotta go.

Mary Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment